Courmayeur Mont Blanc rolls out the banners and celebrates with dancing and folk music to cheer on the heroes who will take part in this contest and who have their sights on “the north face” of Mont Blanc.
During their endeavours, the competitors taking part in Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc® will be able to enjoy the sight of 71 glaciers and 400 peaks and the incomparable beauty of Mont Blanc.
There are six races in the event:
- The UTMB® starts and finishes in Chamonix Mont Blanc, covers a distance of 168 km on three sides of Mont Blanc (French, Italian and Swiss) with a total vertical ascent of 9,600 metres, and is run in a maximum of 46 hrs.
- After that, the CCC® (Courmayeur – Champex – Chamonix) also follows the circuit of the Tour du Mont Blanc. Although known to many runners as «the short», it is one the most difficult ultra-trails: 101 km, 6,100 metres of vertical ascent run in semi-autonomy in a maximum of 26 hrs – 1,900 competitors on the starting line.
- Then comes the TDS® (Sur le Traces des Ducs de Savoie), run through French and Italian Savoy and the Valle d'Aosta, a route through history and mountains: 119 km and a 7,250-metre vertical ascent run in semi-autonomy in a maximum of 33 hrs – 1,600 competitors on the starting line.
- To follow, the PTL® (La Petite Trotte à Léon) is a non-competitive event described by the organisers as “awesome”: 300 km and 28,000 metres of vertical ascent run in complete autonomy, in team of 2/3 trailers. A non-stop unclassified trail run for 100 teams.
- The OCC (Orsières-Champex-Chamonix), the Helvetic little sister of the CCC. No point of qualification is necessary to partecipate - 1,000 to the start.
The #YCC, Youth Chamonix Courmayeur, is a challenge for the young aged 16 – 19 years, comprising of a sporting challenge, combining a prologue in Chamonix, a 15km event with an ascent of around 1100m in Courmayeurand a video competition to be realised alone or in a team; all of which will be transmitted on social networks.