Tête de la Tronche
A wonderful circular excursion to explore the Val Sapin, with wonderful views, is recommended for athletes with a medium-high athletic level. In the crossing of some avalanche channels, you can find residual snowfields and damp soil.
E - Trekking
From July to September
Villair Superiore (1.325 Mt)
42 - AV1 - TMB
From the center of Courmayeur, follow the road that starts from Piazza Abbé Henry and leads to the village of Villair Superiore, the gateway to the Val Sapin. Leaving behind the last houses, the road becomes a dirt road, crosses the Tsapy stream, and continues until you reach the entrance on the left that goes up to the Bertone refuge.
Leaving the road, the path, well marked, has steep sections and several hairpin bends. From the junction on the road, you reach the village of Le Pré, dominated by the refuge Bertone (1,989 mt.).
Just before arriving at the refuge, you can enjoy a wonderful view of Mont Blanc, the Aguille Noire du Peuterey, and 700 meters below, Courmayeur.
Following the path to the right of the refuge, you will reach a panoramic table (2,030 mt) where the path divides: take route n. 42 on the right that reaches the grassy saddles of Mont de la Saxe (2,348 mt).
From a last grassy expanse with an alpine lake, the path climbs towards Testa Bernarda (2,534 meters); once you pass another shelf, you reach a junction: with the track on the left you reach the summit of Testa Bernarda from which you can admire a panorama of unique beauty, with the right one you reach the ridge between the Val Sapin and the Valle di Arminaz in Val Ferret.
Following the ridge, you reach the top of the Tête de la Tronche (2,584 meters).
A very steep track leads to the depression of Col Sapin (2,436 meters), from where a path descends to the head of the Val Sapin, with a path along which to pay attention. Reached the bed of a stream (about 2,100 meters), the path continues to the huts of Currù (2,005 meters, 30′ / 5h 30′); a fantastic view of the Mont Blanc chain from Mont de La Saxe.
Leaving on the left a trail to the Col Licony (2,674 m), you begin to descend to the right into the woods, passing through the Freydevaz pasture (1,730 m) and touching the valley floor at the height of the village of Tsapy (1,635 m). Follow the dirt road that descends alongside the stream to the houses of La Trappa (1,505 meters), from which the last descent leads back to the junction for Testa Bernarda, and return to the houses of Villair.
Useful tips for hikers
– According to the regional law it is forbidden to set up tents and camp below 2500m.
– Help us protect the mountains! Remember to leave the paths as you found them: collect your waste, you can throw them and differentiate once you return to the valley.
– In the mountains, you need appropriate clothing: bring with you sunscreen, a windbreaker, and hiking shoes.
– Keep a trail map in your backpack in case you lose your phone line.
– Always consult the weather conditions before organizing your trip.
– There are no refreshment points or fountains along some of these routes. Remember to always bring the right amount of water with you.
– To ensure safety for the youngest hikers, it is advisable to walk along the paths on the side of the mountain.
– Given the presence on the trail of other hikers, but also marmots, squirrels, and other components of the local fauna, it is recommended to keep dogs on a leash.